Need-Based Financial Assistance
Giving your child a Montessori education may be the edge they need to realize their dreams. The aim of Montessori education is to foster competent, responsible, adaptive citizens who are lifelong learners and problem solvers. Choosing to attend an independent school is an important decision and is not without financial impact. Of course, we feel our families ultimately discover that providing their children with a solid foundation leading to a productive and connected life pays dividends beyond their expectations.
At HCMS, we strive to maintain a socio-economically diverse student population. While numerous financing options are available, it is up to each family to determine the option which best meets their needs. HCMS is able to provide a limited financial assistance pool for families who are unable to meet the full costs of our program. The following guidelines describe our Financial Assistance Program.
- Applicants must complete the admissions process and be accepted to the school under admission guidelines.
- Eligibility for admission is not based upon a family’s financial circumstances.
- All financial assistant applicants must complete the financial assistance process.
- HCMS will review each application as it is received and dispense funds, as available.
- Awards are based on need and do not reflect academic skills or other talents.
- For families who do qualify for assistance, HCMS can fund up to 60% of the annual tuition fee for a limited number of families.
- Additional programs, such as extended care or after school activities, are not considered for financial assistance.
- Families must reapply each year and the amount awarded may vary from year to year depending on the family’s financial circumstances and the school’s availability of funds.
- Information and documents related to a family’s financial assistance application and award are strictly confidential.
Applying for Financial Assistance
HCMS uses FAST Financial Aid for Student Tuition to collect basic financial information. To ensure a fair and accurate assessment is made, it is important for applicants to address all financial assistance documents with total disclosure and candor. FAST then prepares a needs analysis from the information provided and suggests the amount a family can contribute for educational costs. Information gathered by FAST establishes a starting point for the HCMS Financial Assistance Committee to determine how much financial assistance will be offered.
Applicants are required to submit copies of the following documents to FAST:
- Form 1040 (Statement of Federal Income Tax)
- All W-2s (Wage & Tax Statements)
- All 1099s (Miscellaneous Income Forms)
- All applicable tax schedules
- Student applicant’s tax return, if he or she is required to file
In case of divorce or separation, both the parent with whom the student resides, as well as the non-custodial parent, should complete a FAST application. The family’s ability to contribute is based upon both parents’ income and assets. In addition, HCMS may request divorce decrees and any child support documentation.
FAST Financial Aid for Student Tuition can be submitted online at http://www.ismfast.com beginning January 1 of the year for which they are applying.